Download the Laptop Theft Prevention and Recovery overview:
On average approximately 90 laptops are stolen on the University's campus each year. Laptop theft is often a crime of opportunity. Students, faculty, and staff are strongly encouraged to take appropriate precautions to prevent the theft of their laptop computer and to register their laptops to assist the police in recovering the laptop in the event that the laptop is lost or stolen.
- Never leave your laptop unattended in public places, even "just for a minute". Remain in physical contact with it at all times (take it into the restroom if you must). Do not leave your laptop alone!
- Lock offices or dorm rooms where the laptop is stored.
- Lock the laptop in a cabinet in a locked office or dorm room.
- Use a security device such as a steel cable lock or alarm.
- Write down the MAC (Media Access Control) address of your network card.
- Document serial and model numbers of your laptop and accessories (such as hard drives and mice) and keep them in your files or store them on HUPD's online registration system.
- Register your laptop through the manufacturer's product registration program.
- Back up your data, either online or via an external drive and store that drive in some place other than the laptop carrying case.
- Install laptop tracking and recovery software such as LoJack for Laptops.
- Contact the HUPD at 617-495-1212 to file a the report immediately if your laptop is stolen on campus.
Laptop Registration and Recovery
The HUPD offers you two ways to register your laptop: online on the HUPD website, a free service provided by the HUPD or through Absolute Software’s LoJack for Laptops. The HUPD maintains a database that stores the make, model, and serial number of your laptop. In the event of the loss or theft of the laptop, the HUPD will be able to provide you with that information, which could help facilitate the recovery of the laptop. To register your laptop online please click on the form below.
If you choose to use LoJack for Laptops, the company will work with HUPD and local police to try to recover your laptop if it is stolen. The technology they use is embedded in most PCs, making it very difficult to detect and remove. It allows you to remotely display a message and lock your device so that no one else can log on and search your files, photos or passwords. You can also remotely delete files, photos, passwords, emails, financial data and records, and can use GPS, WiFi or IP to display your device’s general location on a map. A four year (4) subscription costs $30.
For more information on how to register your laptop or to find out when a registration fair will be held please contact email@example.com.
Learn more about Absolute Softwares LoJack for laptops.
Laptop registrations being offered:
No events scheduled at this time.