The Clery Act is a federal law that requires colleges and universities to disclose annual information about campus crime. Each year the University files a report of campus crime statistics with the United States Department of Education. Crime statistics for the past three calendar years are maintained on the HUPD website.
For each calendar year, the statistics reflect the number of reported incidents of certain crimes, as defined by the Clery Act, which occurred within Harvard’s Clery Geography. These crimes include: homicide, manslaughter, sex offenses (including rape, fondling, incest and statutory rape), domestic violence, dating violence, stalking, robbery, aggravated assault, burglary, motor vehicle theft, and arson that occurred on or near campus for the previous three calendar years. Also included are arrests and disciplinary referrals for drug law violations, liquor violations, weapon violations, and bias-related crimes.
The Clery statistics include crimes reported directly to the HUPD, to local law enforcement agencies, and to “campus security authorities.” As stated above, “campus security authorities” are defined by the Clery Act as university officials who have “significant responsibility for student and campus activities, including, but not limited to, student housing, student discipline, and campus judicial proceedings.” Professionally licensed mental health and religious counselors are exempt from reporting requirements.
- 2019 Annual Security Report Cambridge Campus Clery Act Criminal Statistics
- 2019 Annual Security Report Longwood Campus Clery Act Criminal Statistics
- 2019 Annual Security Report Arnold Arboretum Campus Criminal Statistics
- 2019 Annual Security Report Harvard Forest Campus Criminal Statistics
- 2019 Annual Security Report Concord Field Station Campus Criminal Statistics
- 2019 Annual Security Report Center for Hellenic Studies - Nafplion, Greece Campus Clery Act Criminal Statistics
- 2019 Annual Security Report David Rockefeller Center for Latin American Studies - Santiago Chile Campus Criminal Statistics
Because the Clery Act is a federal law, its definitions are not identical to those found in Massachusetts law. For the purposes of reporting crime statistics, HUPD uses the definitions set forth here. The definitions under Massachusetts law for certain crimes are set forth here.
For additional information on the Clery Act please visit the U.S. Department of Education website.