The Harvard University Police Department recognizes the need for safe and efficient pedestrian and vehicular traffic flow at University work sites. Additionally, the Department recognizes that at sporting and special events, and other times, officers may be required to provide crowd control and security. In order to address these needs, the Department allows officers to work Department-assigned paid details in addition to their scheduled tours of duty. While on detail, officers have the primary responsibility of enforcing laws, enforcing the rules and regulations of the University, and protecting the safety of the Harvard community.
A police detail may be required by University policy under any of the following circumstances:
- Harvard University-only functions with an anticipated attendance of 100 or more.
- Any function where alcohol is served with expected attendance of 100 or more guests.
Rates (as of 9/1/18)
- Costs for Patrol Officer - $60.30/hr (Minimum 4 hours & includes administrative costs)
- Party details - $70.30/hr - (Usually this is a social function hosted in College Houses with ending times of 1AM or later)
- Holiday rate – $83.46/hr
- Overtime rate – time and one half the officer’s normal rate
- The detail office reserves the right to prioritize details.
- Determinations of the need for and size of a police detail will be made by the Chief of Police or their designee in consultation with University officials.
- If the event is cancelled, it’s the responsibility of the client/requestor to inform the HUPD Detail Office in a timely manner.
- There’s no notification to the client/requestor that an officer has been assigned. You may contact the detail office to confirm whether a detail was filled.
- The client/requestor is responsible for the bill.
- If you have questions about what type of detail you need, please contact the HUPD detail office at 617-495-0832.
This is a request application only. Submitting a request does not guarantee approval.
- Request a Harvard University Police Detail - Authenticate with HUID & PIN
- If you do not have a HUID & PIN please use this form.
For all other questions about details please email the HUPD's Detail Office.