|Urgent: 617-495-1212 (Longwood 617-432-1212)
| Business: 617-495-1215
Laptop - Theft Prevention
On average approximately 90 laptops are stolen on the University's campus each year. Laptop theft is often a crime of opportunity. Students, faculty, and staff are strongly encouraged to take appropriate precautions to prevent the theft of their laptop computer and to register their laptops to assist the police in recovering the laptop in the event that the laptop is lost or stolen.
- Never leave your laptop unattended in public places, even "just for a minute". Remain in physical contact with it at all times (take it into the restroom if you must). Do not leave your laptop alone!
- Lock offices or dorm rooms where the laptop is stored.
- Lock the laptop in a cabinet in a locked office or dorm room.
- Use a security device such as a steel cable lock or alarm.
- Write down the MAC (Media Access Control) address of your network card.
- Document serial and model numbers of your laptop and accessories (such as hard drives and mice) and keep them in your files or store them on HUPD's online registration system www.hupd.harvard.edu/laptop.php.
- Register your laptop through the manufacturer's product registration program.
- Back up your data, either online or via an external drive and store that drive in some place other than the laptop carrying case.
- Install laptop tracking and recovery software such as LoJack for Laptops.
- Contact the HUPD at 617-495-1212 to file a the report immediately if your laptop is stolen on campus.
Laptop Registration and Recovery
The HUPD offers you two ways to register your laptop: online on the HUPD website, a free service provided by the HUPD or through Absolute Software's LoJack for Laptops.
The HUPD maintains a database that stores the make, model, and serial number of your laptop. In the event of the loss or theft of the laptop, the HUPD will be able to provide you with that information, which could help facilitate the recovery of the laptop. You can register your laptop online by clicking here.
LoJack for Laptops
New this fall the Harvard University Police Department, in partnership with Absolute Software, will be offering LoJack for Laptops, a theft recovery system to students, faculty, and staff at Harvard University. Lo Jack for Laptops is a software-based theft recovery and data security service that is embedded into a computer's basic input/output system (BIOS) and installed onto the hard drive of the computer system. In the event that a laptop is lost or stolen, LoJack for Laptops can track, locate, and recover laptops. Once located Absolute Software will work with the local police department to recover the laptop. In addition to assisting in recovering the laptop, owners have the ability to remotely lock their computer and delete files, providing persons with the ability to protect personal information against identity theft.
A four year (4) subscription costs $20.
For more information on how to register your laptop or to find out when a registration fair will be held please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information on Absolute Softwares LoJack for laptops please visit http://www3.absolute.com/lojackforlaptops/home.
Upcoming Laptop Registration Dates
10/23/13, 11:00 AM - 1:00 PM
Harkness Commons at Harvard Law School
10/30/13, 10:00 AM - 2:00 PM
Spangler Center Grille at Harvard Business School